To my way of thinking, they are more against religion than against 'god'. Given the amazing weirdness of the universe as it is revealed to us by the sciences, I am not sure that god is that much more improbable. But the real fire of these is turned against human foolishness.
- “The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason.”
- “We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”
- “The foolish reject what they see and not what they think; the wise reject what they think and not what they see.”
- “I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.”
—Susan B. Anthony.
- “We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.”
- “Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.”